2. Impact of Lawsonia intracellularis infections on pig farms
Feed conversion and weight gain
3. What is Lawsonia intracellularis?
Bacteria – intracellular
How does L. intracellularis infect the pig intestine
4. Clinical signs of Lawsonia intracellularis infections in pigs
Chronic diarrhoea and weight loss
Acute haemorrhagic diarrhoea
5. How does Lawsonia intracellularis spread?
Spread on the farm
Spread between farms
6. Confirming the diagnosis and typical cases
Case study. Chronic diarrhoea and weight loss
Case study. Acute haemorrhagic diarrhoea
7. Differential diagnosis. What are other possible causes of these clinical signs?
Investigating intestine problems
8. Treatment of sick pigs.
Failures of treatment
Case study. Failure of treatment
Farm medication programmes
9. Control and prevention of
Lawsonia intracellularis infections
Hygiene and disinfection programmes
Broad-spectrum antibiotics and/or vaccine