The volume is composed of 51 chapters, organized in 6 sections.
- The first section (chapters 1-4) presents introductory topics, with a special focus on nutrition, malnutrition, microbiota and gastrointestinal hormones;
- The second section (chapters 5-14) discusses oesophagus, stomach and duodenum diseases;
- The third section (chapters 15-26) is about small bowel and colon diseases.
- The fourth section (chapters 27-38) focuses on liver diseases;
- The fifth section (chapters 39-48) is centred around the biliary tracts and pancreas diseases;
- The sixth section (chapters 49-51) discusses the emergencies in Gastroenterology.