1. Introduction to work-related stress syndromes and how they arise in the veterinary sector
2. How these syndromes affect the company and personnel
Company-specific characteristics that affect worker stress
Psychosocial consequences of monotonous work
Indicators of work-related stress in the company
Wellbeing at work and self-efficacy
3. Understanding stress, burnout, and compassion fatigue in the veterinary profession
What is stress?
What is burnout?
What is compassion fatigue?
4. Vicarious trauma or vicarious traumatization
Signs and symptoms associated with vicarious trauma
Working on empathy
Clarity of thought and common sense
5. Relationship between fatigue syndromes in human and veterinary medicine
Is there a parallel between human medicine and veterinary medicine with respect to fatigue syndromes?
Auxiliary veterinary personnel
What are toxic work environments and toxic companies?
Some empirical studies and data
6. Ethics, morals, and values in animal care
The ethical dilemma
Strategies for reducing ethical tensions
Taboos in the veterinary profession
Documents that minimize the number of ethical dilemmas
7. Ten best practices to support staff and colleagues in veterinary practice
Ten best practices to help jumpstart the project
Compassion satisfaction is a best practice
8. How to deal with euthanasia and its emotional impact on veterinary clinic personnel
What is euthanasia?
How does euthanasia affect veterinary staff?
How do adults go through the grieving process?
Grief in children
How to deliver bad news to the owner: Buckman’s 6-step protocol
When to opt for euthanasia
Communication with the team
9. Loss, grief, and suicide in veterinary medicine
Best practices for organizational grieving
Best practices for individual grieving
10. Incorporating integrated wellness and standards of self-care in veterinarians and staff
11. Self-evaluation to measure levels of stress, burnout, and compassion fatigue
The Professional Quality of Life (ProQOL) self-test
The Secondary Traumatic Stress Informed Organization Assessment (STSI-OA)
12. Next steps: achieving and sustaining wellness in the veterinary profession